6 Top Tips For Fire Safety In The Workplace
Aug 23 2023 10:14AM
Fire can cause devastating and even fatal damage to your business. That’s why you should always take steps to reduce the risk of fire and prepare for the worst-case scenario. Here are six essential fire safety tips for your business.
Six Essential Fire Safety Tips for Your Business
1) Start with a Fire Risk Assessment (FRA). This is a legal requirement and a good way to identify and manage fire hazards. You can hire a professional fire risk assessment company to do this for you. They will give you clear and practical advice on how to improve your fire safety.
2) Keep your workplace clean and tidy. Clutter like paper and cardboard can fuel a fire and block escape routes. Make sure everyone knows how to get out safely and that the exits are always clear.
3) Install and maintain fire safety equipment. Your fire risk assessor will tell you what you need and where to put it. For example, you need to have a regular fire extinguisher maintenance service to check your fire extinguishers. You also need to know how to test your fire alarm system yourself.
4) Train your employees on fire safety. Everyone should know what to do in case of a fire. Choose a meeting point and make sure everyone knows where it is and how to get there.
5) Check your electrical equipment and installations regularly. Faulty electrics are a common cause of preventable fires. If you notice any problems, fix them or replace them as soon as possible.
6) Appoint fire wardens or marshals for your business. These are people who will take charge in case of a fire. They could be managers or supervisors, for example, who are responsible for counting their staff in an evacuation.
Prevention Is Better Than Cure
Sometimes, accidents happen, so it’s important that you and your employees are ready for a fire emergency. Make sure everyone knows where the firefighting equipment is and how to use it safely. Make sure everyone knows how to evacuate the building quickly and calmly.
But prevention is better than cure, so you should do everything you can to prevent a fire from starting in the first place.
If you want more information about fire risk assessment or fire safety training, contact Arion Ltd and talk to one of our friendly and experienced team members.
Our fire risk assessors are highly qualified and experienced and will help you understand and reduce your fire risk. Our fire services department at Arion can also help you solve many of your fire safety issues.