Principles of Moving and Handling
The course outlines manual handling assessments and enables employees to develop safer moving and handling techniques.
From: £58.65pp / £276.25 closed course *Maximum 12 delegates
Manual Handling accidents account for the largest amount of people off work/claims against employers due to no/insufficient training. In 2006/07 9,450,000 work days were lost and the average penalty per conviction by the HSE was £29,997.00. The highest instance of injury from manual/moving and handling operations was in the care industry, which attributed for well over 50% of injuries last year. This course works in accordance with Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 to introduce candidates to the hazards and risks involved in manual handling, specifically moving and handling. The course outlines manual handling assessments and enables employees to develop safer moving and handling techniques.
This qualification will benefit anyone in the workplace to provide information and techniques essential to protection from injury when moving people.
After a successful post course assessment, candidates receive a certificate valid for one year Employees can use the certificate to demonstrate the level of health and safety knowledge they have achieved, alongside the practical experience they have gained.
Maximum Course attendance is 12.
Typical Interest Groups
All employers and employees in environments involved with moving people i.e. care homes.
On completion of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Explain what is meant by the terms ‘moving and handling’ and give examples;
- Identify and explain the most likely causes of injury;
- State the principles for controlling risks and apply these in a practical context;
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the value and purposes of conducting a handling risk assessment and what employees can expect of such assessments
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main provisions of the Manual Handling Operations Regulations.
- Demonstrate their abilities in a variety of handling situations involving moving people.